What are the advantages of growing crops in an Aquaponics system versus traditional methods?
- Naturally grown, great tasting, freshest, and cleanest home-grown vegetables.
- No unnatural herbicides, pesticides or fertilizers.
- Uses as little as 2% of the water normally needed.
- Higher growth rates and yields.
- No soil is needed.
- No weeding.
- Great for small, urban areas.
- Healthy, clean, home-grown fish to harvest.
- No (GMO) genetic manipulation of the fish or vegetables.
- Fish are a healthy source of protein.
- High quality of water means better tasting fish.
- Local production reduces food miles.
- Fish and vegetables are one of the healthiest diets you can follow.
- Multiple sources of income – plants and fish.
- Use up to 70% less energy than conventional gardening.
- No more bending over to plant.
- Less affected by weather conditions.
As you can see there are many advantages to growing fish and vegetables in an aquaponics system. This is why there is such a growing interest in this type of farming method. With more people moving to the cities there is an increasing interest in growing vegetables in small urban areas and aquaponics is perfect fit for that.